Monday 21 February 2011

Love's imagination

What is it to love, adore, admire?
A worship of one sublime being
To feel the warmth of love accepted
To glory in receptive eyes
To generate a heat eternal
Feel the caress of mortal life
To sleep, to dream, to wake together
Two bodies united in one bed
Entwined in steadfast loyalty
Two minds which read the other
Such is love, a sentimental ecstacy.

Why lift the veil of misty haze
Which filled our lovesick days
When perfection is so soon replaced
By bitterness of love misplaced
I loved you not, but you knew
The ideal I worshipped could not exist
These dewy eyes you once kissed
Hold resentment at misconception.
I loved you not but my reflection
Imposed on you a greater charm
Than any man in truth could be
I loved not you, I loved a picture
Drawn in no real perspective
But this you knew when you rejected me.

No comments: